New York Comic-Con featured a cosplay contest in the past but the last few years there hasn’t been one. This time around though Wikia [LIVE] is sponsoring two different contests! Here are the details from NYCC:
Have you spent the past year sculpting the ultimate Iron Man suit? Or have you instead put this time into making certain each stich of your Joker suit is in line? Either way, New York Comic Con cosplayers both veteran and amateur are invited to join in the Wikia [LIVE] Cosplay Contest!
Wikia is posting a cash/gift-card prize, along with several runner-up prizes. Wikia Stars (leading admins/experts in our comics, video game and entertainment communities) will serve as judges for the contest. There will also be a daily costume parade in the Family Room just for Fans 12-and-under.
Wikia [LIVE] will be hosting two contests during NYCC, the first on the evening of Friday, October 11 from 7:45 PM – 8:45 PM and the second on Saturday, October 12 from 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM, both in room 1A06. Both events will feature some of the finest cosplay from around the country that NYCC has ever seen!
Rules and Details regarding the contest will be posted soon. Space in this competition is limited, so be sure to register starting Tuesday, September 17. Applications are due by 11:59 PM EST on September 26.
All entries must represent a character or element in the pop culture realm (Comic Books, Movies, Television, Video Games, Anime, etc.). Contestants will be judged on the quality of their costumes and on presentation. All contestants will go on stage individually, exhibit two to three poses, and then exit. No speaking or individualization of music is allowed. There are no group entries allowed.
The contest is limited to 30 entries. The time limit per participant on stage is approximately one minute.
Prizes will be awarded to winners in the following categories, based on judges’ scores, except for Crowd Favorite:
Grand Prize: Best In Show
Crowd Favorite – determined by crowd reaction and voting
Participants in the Cosplay Contest must adhere to the following:
- A contestant may participate in the Cosplay Contest only once. Applicants may register multiple times with multiple costumes, but they will be selected to participate on stage with no more than one costume.
- Single costumes only. Group costumes are not allowed.
- Entrants must provide a written description that the emcee will read during their appearance on stage. This may describe the details of the costume or provide a story about the character being portrayed. You may offer details about the construction process, materials, number of work hours, or anything that might impress the Judges and fans. This description is limited to 150 words. NYCC reserves the right to edit introduction material for time and content.
- All contestants must check in for craftsmanship judging on the contest day. Failure to appear at check-in will result in disqualification. Check-in will take place 30 minutes prior to the event in room 1A06. A NYCC convention badge is required at check-in. You must appear in costume at the time of your check-in. It is encouraged you bring printed visual reference for our Judges, if available, for your character.
- Any item or activity that presents the possibility of damage to the entrants, their costumes, the audience, or the facility is prohibited. No live steel, firearms, projectiles, flash powder, lasers, explosives, or open flame of any kind will be allowed on stage. Please see NYCC’s Weapons Policy for further details. Please, also, do not throw objects, even soft ones, into the audience. If you take it on stage, you must take it off stage.
- Please refrain from wearing or using any substances that may potentially interfere with another participant’s costume. If you are wearing body paint or make-up, please make sure it will not come in contact with others. Do not leave anything on stage that could damage the other costumes. Do not leave anything on stage at all.
- All costumes should provide enough coverage to be worn in public and should be in good taste and appropriate for a family-friendly show. Gore, graphic violence, or other objectionable elements may be grounds for disqualification as determined by the Judges or Cosplay Contest Staff.
- Entrants are responsible for their own belongings. We are unable to provide a secure area for personal items. We recommend bringing an assistant to help with belongings. A bag check area is available in the convention center.
- Any participant may be disqualified from the contest by Convention Management, Cosplay Contest Staff, or official Costume Judges for failure to observe any of these rules. All decisions made by the Judges are final.
- Pre-fabricated, store-bought costumes cannot compete in the Cosplay Contest. All costumes must be made by the wearer or a fellow fan. Store-bought elements can be incorporated into costumes, but the full costumes cannot have been purchased or rented.
You can register here!