Everyone knows that Comic-Con is a big advertisement opportunity for studios and companies to show off what they have coming down the pipe. This hype is, after all, the reason that we all go in one form of another!
But what about the rest of San Diego? This might be hard to believe so I’m going to give you a moment to sit down.
Are you seated? No? It’s cool, I can wait.
Okay, are you good? Good. Here we go.
There are tons of other things outside of the convention center that are worth checking out!!
Below is a pretty big list of San Diego businesses that have movie and comic book themed promotions and events going on during that all fans should check out during Comic-Con weekend.
Where to Eat
Super cupcakes have arrived at Sprinkles La Jolla just in time for Comic-Con! It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s Super Sprinkles! The citizens of Cupcake City cheer as the sweet superhero unleashes his secret power: marvelous freshly baked cupcakes! These incredible treats are topped with fantastic sugar decorations including the Comic-? Con logo, “Pow!”, “Zap!”, “Bam!” and lightening bolts. With their identity concealed with sweet sprinkles, these Super Hero cupcakes are best used to sway archenemies and they are here to save the day! Act fast because these special Comic-?Con Super Cupcakes will be gone in a flash as they are only available July 18 - 21st.
Located in the heart of the bustling downtown San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, Searsucker San Diego, by Top Chef alum and ABC’s The Taste winning judge / mentor Celebrity Chef Brian Malarkey, offers a playful menu of twists on New American cuisine and an array of mouth-watering signature cocktails. Just blocks from the Convention Center, Searsucker is a hotspot for Comic-?Con celeb spotting. Past celeb sightings include David Arquette, Kellen Lutz, Adam Brody, Brooklyn Decker, Danny Masterson, David Duchovny, Marisa Miller, Tommy Lee and Brody Jenner.
Located in San Diego’s vibrant Gaslamp Quarter and in the heart of all the fun Comic-?Con happenings, Pinzimini at the Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter is celebrating with a menu of Super Hero pizzas for $14. Guests can choose from:
- Wolverine - barbecue pulled chicken, grilled red onions, mozzarella
- The Hunger Games – bacon, chicken, pepperoni, sausage
- Robo Cop – jalapenos, pork carnitas, asiago sauce, black beans, mozzarella
- Spiderman - pesto, roasted tomatoes, mushrooms, artichokes, mozzarella
The Hunger Games is coming to San Diego. Katsuya by Starck, San Diego’s premier Asian?infusion experience, is offering a special five-item social hour menu inspired by the second installment in the infamous trilogy, “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.” The odds will be in any Comic?Con guest’s favor with these one-of-a?kind items:
- Catching Fire Robata Wings
- Peeta’s Shishito and Edamame Tasting
- Quarter Quell Roll
- Katniss Evergreen Fizz cocktail
- The Capital cocktail
The Capital cocktail blends three Muddled Blackberries, 1.5 oz Plymouth gin, .50 oz lemon juice, .75 lavender simple syrup and a splash of lemonade, garnished with Lemon Disk and halfway covered with pop rocks to create the perfect summer concoction.
Where to Stay
- For those who want a seaside break from all the Comic?Con madness, the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina is far enough from the hustle and bustle yet still just a short shuttle ride away. Boasting glistening views of the San Diego bay, the Sheraton San Diego has created an Anchorman?themed cocktail menu to coincide with the upcoming Anchorman 2 filming. Reflecting some of the infamous quotes from the San Diego-based comedy, the Anchorman cocktail menu will include:
- “Scotchy?Scotch?Scotch”: Blended scotch, Dewar’s Highlander honey, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup and vanished with a lemon wheel and honey comb
- “Staying Classy San Diego”: Blended scotch, Benedictine liqueur, fresh lemon juice, fresh blackberries and served in a cocktail glass or coup and garnished with blackberries and mint
Inspiring, iconic, innovative and influential, the newly restyled W San Diego offers a unique mix of cutting-edge design and passions around fashion, music and entertainment. Located in downtown San Diego, the W San Diego is walking distance from the city’s lively Gaslamp Quarter and Little Italy and just minutes from the San Diego Convention Center where Comic?Con will be in full force. Those looking to celebrate Comic?Con in style will enjoy the W’s Rooftop Bar, offering Comic?Con inspired cocktails (below) along with cityscape views of all the superhero happenings.
- Shire Flower (inspired from the movie, The Hobbit): Vodka, Elderflower liqueur lemon juice, apricot and served in a martini glass
- Spider’s Web (inspired from the movie, The Amazing Spiderman): Blue Curacao, Hypnotic liquor, raspberry schnapps, a splash of cranberry juice and served in a martini glass
Hard Rock Hotel San Diego:
San Diego’s Hard Rock Hotel attracts the hottest summer crowd, perfect for Comic-Con crazies. The hotel’s full-service Rock Spa is the ideal place to re?charge for the night ahead or decompress from the long day at Comic-Con. The Super Hero Stretch spa and fitness package celebrates the comic book hero in everyone.
- Manchester Grand Hyatt:
The Manchester Grand Hyatt not only offers a good night’s sleep, but a spa package fit for any superhero. After a hard day/night of Comic Con festivities guests can take some time to recharge. Experience the largest waterfront urban resort on the West Coast when you visit Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego. Our luxury waterfront San Diego hotel combines the convenience of downtown with the comfort of Hyatt’s inviting guestrooms. Relax in our full-service spa and salon, or in your plush Hyatt Grand Bed™ while enjoying views of the city and San Diego Bay.Kin Spa: Full body massages that refresh and relax, facials using only the highest quality natural ingredients, manicures and pedicures, hair styling, rejuvenation treatments that transform your skin and much more, all await you in this stunning environment overlooking the San Diego Bay.Man of Steel Package – $145Therapeutic Massage (60 minutes)
Men’s Haircut (30 minutes)
Where to Play
San Diego’s premier nightclub, the 11,000 square-foot FLUXX Nightclub has built its reputation as the city’s hottest club, catering to stylish clientele as well as attracting an A-list crowd including celebrity fans Usher, Ashton Kutcher, Kellen Lutz, Jessica Biel, Mark Salling, Bruno Mars, P. Diddy, Snoop Dogg and more. Friday and Saturday FLUXX will be open to the public, showing off their new FLUXX Arcade theme that will incorporate 8-bit video games to lead partygoers through a pixilated world via sculptures, clothing and of course, video games.
Side Bar ultra-lounge, located in the Gaslamp District of San Diego, will be kicking off Comic-Con by doing a Super Hero themed party on Wednesday, July 17th, where the guest bartenders / bartenders will be dressed up as different super heroes (i.e., Superman, Spiderman, Iron Man, Batman, Darth Vadar, Captain America, etc). Free cover and drink specials will also be given for anyone who dresses up and they will have all of their Super Heros bringing out bottles in one night 🙂